Making healthy changes is hard enough, but a cancer diagnosis can make it even more challenging. Caring for yourself or someone with cancer comes down to meeting needs, and one of our first needs as humans is nourishment. However, when ill, food can be the last thing you want because of lethargy or nausea. So, learning which foods are ideal for specific needs is paramount for a patient’s health.
There are multiple advantages of implementing nutrition as a major part of any cancer treatment plan, and several mechanisms by which such advantages occur.
- Avoiding malnutrition
- Minimizing the negative side effects of chemotherapy and radiation
- Optimizing the positive effects of these therapies
- Making treatments more selectively toxic to cancer cells while protecting healthy tissue
- Promoting new healthy cell growth
- Stimulating immune response
- Modulating hormone levels
- Influencing tumor growth factors
- Inhibiting tumor angiogenesis (growth of new blood vessels)
- Stimulating apoptosis (programmed cancer cell death)
- Encouraging cell differentiation (underdeveloped in cancer cells)
- Supporting elimination and detoxification
- Increasing longevity
- Improving energy, pain and quality of life
- Helping to prevent recurrence
- Improving disease outcome
- Empowering you to participate in your therapy by taking an active and positive role in maintaining your health
The Food for Life Program puts you in the driver’s seat of your health. You will learn dietary strategies to help you use food as medicine to maintain the health of your body and improve your nutrition and lifestyle habits for optimal recovery.
The Food for Life Program includes the following:
- 1, Free 30-Minute Initial Consultation to discuss your main health concerns
- 1, 60-minute initial assessment to provide you with detailed advice and a plan to maximize your nutritional health
- 6, 30-minute follow-up sessions to make sure you are well supported
- A summary of key foods and nutrients to boost your nutrition throughout treatment and that will help support your immune system, reduce chronic inflammation, maintain the health of your body and orchestrate optimal health for life
General guidelines that will focus on prevention to help you get started on your road to optimum health including dietary, supplementation (only if needed), and lifestyle recommendations
* Add on a 30-minute maintenance session for $75 (not otherwise included) as required
* Add on a personalized framework eating plan for $190 (not otherwise included)
Health Coverage: Many "flex plans" or "Health and Wellness Spending Accounts" allow members to allocate their health insurance funds towards complimentary health services. Please check with your insurance company to see if your plan extends coverage to nutritional counseling services from a Natural Nutrition - Clinical Practitioner (NNCP) and Certified Holistic Nutritional Consultant (CHNC) that fall under holistic health. Presently, Manulife, iA Financial Group, Green Shield of Canada and Blue Cross Alberta cover the services of NNCP’s (Natural Nutrition - Clinical Practitioners).
If you would like to express an interest in having the services of a Natural Nutrition - Clinical and Practitioner (NNCP) covered under your group insurance plan, please forward a letter to your employee like the sample here.
Sample Letter to Employee to Encourage Extended Health Coverage
Together, we have the potential to change the face of integrated healthcare.