If you find it difficult to ditch the sweets, or you're still on your sweet kick from the holidays -- this month is a good time to get some healthy tricks under your belt.
With February and Valentine's day, chocolate abounds this month -- whether you're getting some as a gift, or chowing down on some to dodge the whole Valentine ordeal... I have a few healthy sweets that can and will satisfy your sweet tooth without the chemicals and processed sugar.
These are great to have year-round, so listen up!
- Guess what? Organic dark chocolate is a-okay! So you don't have to dodge the chocolate this month (or ever). Dip some strawberries in melted organic dark chocolate, and you'll wonder why you've never done it before. Yum!
- Apple slices with your favorite nut butter or baked apples with cinnamon and nutmeg. One of my favorites is Apple Nachos! Super easy to make...simply drizzle some honey and almond butter on apple slices and sprinkle with chopped almonds. Yum!
- Frozen grapes. Easy and delicious. Frozen grapes have a satisfying texture and almost creamy or sorbet-like. They are sweet, nutritious, low-calorie and take time to eat, therefore, it is nearly impossible to down handful after handful of frozen grapes.
- Homemade trail mix with cranberries, your favorite nuts, dark chocolate nibs. Build a healthy portable trail mix with any combination of dried fruits and nuts. For long-lasting freshness, store your healthy homemade trail mix in a vacuum-packed mason jar.
- Banana "nice cream" -- an alternative to dairy ice cream. Cut up & freeze banana, and puree it in blender when you're ready to enjoy a bowl of Nice-cream. Seriously simple, inexpensive and delicious. For a creamier texture, add coconut milk. Even better, add your favorite mix-ins such as nuts, other fruits, honey, spices or your favorite nut butter.
What are your favorite healthy sweet recipes that keep you away from the junk foods?