I love lettuce wraps! They are low carb and make a great Asian dish when you're really craving take out but much healthier. These are a breeze to throw together and are a surprisingly quick and healthy weeknight meal. They are a true 30-minute meal, even including the time to chop up the vegetables.
The chicken filling is packed with flavor and keeps well in the refrigerator. This means that you can make a big batch for dinner and then have the leftovers for lunch over the next few days, or make this for a party without cooking until the last minute.
Bibb or butter lettuce are my recommendation for these wraps. They have sturdy, broad leaves that hold the filling without falling apart. You could also use long leaves of romaine or even a hearty green, like swiss chard or collards.
Pick up what you need on your way home, and you can have these wholesome and delicious Asian chicken lettuce wraps for dinner tonight.
P.S. - The best food is the kind that's served inside other food.
I am a big fan of Hawaii and on our recent trip, I loved being surrounded by tropical fruit all the time. So when I walked past the pineapple display in the grocery store yesterday and smelled it, I just had to pick one up!
I scooped out the flesh of the pineapple this morning (ate it at breakfast). And now for lunch, I'm using the pineapple as the vessel or boat for my Healthy Asian Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps. The recipe is in my profile or http://www.ivanalocke.com/blog/lettucewraps.
The pineapple sweetened up the chicken a little bit, tasted amazing, looked cool and brought me back to #maui
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 15 min
- For the sauce:
- 6 tablespoons tamari sauce or coconut nectar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Frank's Chili & Lime hot sauce
- For the chicken:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or sesame oil or coconut oil
- 450 grams (1 lb) ground lean chicken
- 40 grams ( 1/4 cup) lightly salted cashews coarsely chopped
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 16 lettuce leaves for wrapping (Bibb, Romaine or Butter Lettuce)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Toppings optional :
- 1 carrot shredded or finely sliced(I used a spiralizer)
- cilantro finely chopped
- Quark cheese
- Red Pepper
- Prepare the sauce. Place all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground chicken and break down any big lumps. Cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken is browned.
- Add the cashews and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes, then add the sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Stir in the green onions, remove from heat and scoop the chicken mixture into the lettuce leaves.
- Top with chopped cilantro, avocado, tomatoes, red pepper, shredded carrot, Quark cheese and serve.