One of the oldest fruits, the nutrient-rich pomegranate is in season right now. Packed with antioxidants, the pomegranate has been shown to benefit blood vessels and overall heart health. They are one of the healthier foods you can eat. High in antioxidants, potassium, vitamin C, and a great source of fiber, pomegranates pack a nutritional punch that most foods can’t come close to!
You see those glistening red jewels inside? They’re called arils, and they’re full of delicious, nutritious sweet-tart juice.
To learn an easy way to seed a pomegranate, check out the video below. Basically, cut off the crown, or blossom end, but try not to cut the seeds within. Score the rind in quarters from end to end, and then soak the scored pomegranate in a bowl of cool water for about five minutes. While keeping the fruit immersed, break sections apart with your fingers. The seeds will separate from the pith and fall to the bottom of the bowl. Use your fingers to gently separate any embedded seeds from the pith, then discard the pith and rind. Drain the seeds and dry them gently. Then enjoy!
The arils (seeds) can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Freeze in single layers on trays and for up to 6 months in airtight containers. Remove only the seeds you plan to use. They often lose their shape when thawed.
This pomegranate, pear and avocado salad is festive, bursting with red and green colours. It's full of delicious fresh flavours and it's perfect for the holidays!
- 1 head Romaine lettuce washed and chopped into pieces
- 1 ripe pear cored and diced
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- 2⁄3 cup shelled pistachios
- 2⁄3 cup crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese
- 1⁄2 a small red onion diced
- 1 pomegranate seeds from
- CITRUS VINAIGRETTE:
- 1⁄3 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey optional
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
Make it Like So
- TO MAKE THE SALAD:
- Add all ingredients together in a large bowl and drizzle on the dressing. Toss until combined. Serve immediately.
- TO MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE:
- Whisk all ingredients together for 30 seconds until combined.