December is such a wonderful month to spend time with family, enjoy the holiday music and cheer and give back to the community and connect with neighbours.
Many people already start thinking about their New Year's Resolution, particularly resolutions to lose weight. What I usually suggest...stop focusing on food constituents and start focusing on whole foods. For example, instead of resolving to purchase only products that are "low calorie", "low fat" and "low sodium" on the label, we'd be better served to choose more foods without labels at all (or at least with minimal processing) like fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, and whole grains. These whole foods will help keep us full, fit, fueled and running well.
One of my favorite whole foods that you will often find in my kitchen is zucchini. Zucchinis are helpful for weight loss, thanks to their low calorie and carb count, their high water content (key for detoxing!) and their high dietary fiber content. They’re also packed with folates, which help your metabolism function properly.
So, these turkey stuffed zucchini boats are perfect, right?
They are super family friendly, can be prepared ahead of time and make great leftovers.
You can easily swap out the turkey for ground beef, bison, or chicken and if you prefer a vegetarian option, quinoa or lentils could make a great stuffing as well. Make them work for you! And most importantly, enjoy!
P.S. - For 2017, let's eat for better health! Let's resolve to avoid weight-loss resolutions, stop focusing on calories and constituents, and start eating real foods. That resolution would set the New Year off to a healthy start.
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 50 min
Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
- 4 medium zucchini (about 2 lbs.)
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1⁄2 onion chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper chopped
- 1⁄2 cup reserved zucchini 'meat' from the center of zucchini
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 cup strained tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup your favorite cheese or nutritional yeast
Make it Like So
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and pre-heat oven to 350.
- Slice zucchini in half length wise and use a spoon (or melon baller) to scoop out the center leaving about 1/4 inch zucchini shell all around.
- Brown turkey in a large skillet over medium-high heat, using a wooden spoon or spatula to break the meat into smaller pieces. Add garlic, onion, green peppers, zucchini meat, italian seasoning, strained tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the veggies are tender and all the flavors have come together.
- Place zucchini halves in a baking dish and fill each zucchini boat with about 1/2 cup filling. Top each stuffed zucchini boat with your favorite cheese or nutritional yeast. Cover and bake for 30 min.