Looking for a health-promoting snack? Enjoy this sunflower seed spread on cucumber slices, crackers or pita to take care of your hunger and get a wealth of nutrition at the same time.
Sunflower seeds are full of vitamin E, magnesium and selenium. Like nearly all types of nuts and seeds, sunflower seeds provide a healthy source of essential fatty acids in the form of linoleic acid. Additionally, sunflower seeds are also an excellent source of fiber, amino acids (especially tryptophan) which make up the building blocks of proteins, B Vitamins, phytosterols, and more.
Although as a culture we have been led to believe that consuming fat can lead to unwanted weight gain, the opposite is in fact true; consuming healthy fats actually leads to a healthy cardiovascular system, a stable healthy body weight, and reduced levels of inflammation in your body.
Healthy sources of fats like those found in sunflower seeds are actually the building blocks for cell membranes, allow your body to balance hormones, help to slow down absorption of food during meal time so that we can go longer without feeling hungry, and also act as carriers for important fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K.
You can experience multiple health benefits by adding healthy sources of fats into your diet, like the polyunsaturated kind that is found in sunflower seeds.
Enjoy this simple and refreshing recipe below!
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds soaked 2-6 hours
- 1 clove garlic coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh dill (or 1 1/2 tsp dried) + extra for garnish
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 1 English cucumber for serving
- Rinse and drain the sunflower seeds, discarding the soaking water.
- Place the sunflower seeds, garlic, oil, 1 tablespoon of dill and salt in a food processor and mix until smooth. Aim for a crunchy peanut butter-like texture, so there should be some sunflower seed crunch present.
- To serve, slice the cucumber on an angle. Using a melon baller, scoop out some of the sunflower seed spread and place on top of the cucumber slice.
- Finish off with a sprig of dill.
- Store in refrigerator in airtight container for up to 3 days.