If you love Asian fried rice, you have to give this recipe a try. It's a healthier version substituting the rice with cauliflower so you can save yourself from all those calories. A clean take on fried rice made with cauliflower, carrots, onions, garlic, egg and sesame oil. Yum! Add the Honey Lemon Ginger Chicken and you have the perfect dinner!
The Amazing Benefits of Cauliflower
Cauliflower is one vegetable that deserves a regular rotation in your diet. It has an impressive array of nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other phytochemicals.
Cauliflower can easily be described as a superfood because of its beneficial effects on numerous aspects of health. Some of its most impressive benefits include boosting heart and brain health, it contains a wealth of anti-inflammatory nutrients, it helps your body's ability to detoxify in multiple ways, it is an important source of dietary fibre for your digestive health and it's packed with vitamin C, antioxidants and phytonutrients galore!
If you know me, I'm always looking for sneaky ways to add in more veggies into the family's diet. This meal was a hit!
So, next time you're thinking about ordering take out fried rice, try this easy recipe and skip all the unnecessary grease, carbs, and money. This version is just too good to pass up and too good for YOU!
- HONEY LEMON GINGER CHICKEN
- 3 boneless chicken breasts (about 1.5 pounds)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3 tbs fresh lemon juice
- zest from one lemon
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs tamari sauce
- 2 tsp potato starch or corn starch for thickening
- CAULIFLOWER "FRIED RICE"
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrots (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbs tamari sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp sesame oil
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 green onions, diced
- sea salt to taste (optional)
Make it Like So
- HONEY LEMON GINGER CHICKEN
- In a medium saucepan, add olive oil, minced garlic, and ginger. Saute over medium heat for 2-3 minutes and add honey, lemon juice, lemon zest, apple cider vinegar, tamari sauce, and cornstarch or potato starch. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Let simmer and thicken while cooking chicken.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to a medium skillet. Cook about 4-5 minutes until no longer pink in center and the outside starts to brown. Add the sauce to the chicken and toss to coat. Add pinch of salt and pepper. CAULIFLOWER "FRIED RICE"
- Mince cauliflower into very small crumbled pieces, resembling rice. You can use a food processor to get this texture, but do not over process or it will become mushy. You can also mince it by hand to get the small texture, so it still remains firm when cooked.
- In small bowl, whisk the egg and set aside.
- Heat large skillet on medium heat. Add olive oil, then add onion and garlick. Cook until soft and translucent.
- Add cauliflower and saute until tender, but not mushy or soft. Add peas and carrots and stir until combined.
- Add the beaten egg, tamari sauce, sesame oil and black pepper. Stir until the egg coats all the cauliflower and becomes cooked.
- Add sea salt (optional) to taste. Add green onions and stir to combine everything together.
- Serve warm and on the side of your Honey Lemon Ginger Chicken.