I always find that when autumn comes, I crave earthy herbs like sage and rosemary.
Since sage goes so well with turkey and apples, I decided that this would be the inspiration behind the sage and apple turkey burgers we put together for dinner the other night.
These lean turkey burgers are bursting with all the fabulous fall flavors and are spiked with juicy grated apple then topped with a coconut cream sauce. The shredded apple adds moisture to the meat, the coconut cream sauce adds a light sweetness to the mix, and the sage makes it irresistibly fragrant. Add the crunch of the celery and it becomes perfection!
As a family, we are always trying to make a conscious effort to incorporate more veggies in our meals. That's why we chose a lettuce wrapped, no bun burger instead. By swapping out the traditional hamburger bun with a lettuce wrap, we are also instantly cutting calories and carbohydrates.
Here are some other neat ideas to make a healthier burger and still amp up the flavor and the benefits of your meal:
Swap plain, protein-rich Greek yogurt or smashed avocado in place of mayo for a healthier spread.
Use ground nut flour (such as almond meal or coconut flour) instead of breadcrumbs for a healthier filler that is also gluten free.
Add fresh herbs to your burger for a healthy, low-calorie flavor-booster.
Sneak more veggie servings by tossing chopped spinach, shredded zucchini or other leafy greens into the burger mixture, or add as a topping.
Spice up a burger with hot sauce like sriracha, or Herdez brand salsa for some low-calorie heat and a little metabolism boost.
Go bun-less and serve your burger in a lettuce wrap or even between two slices of zucchini.
I like to prepare a bigger batch of these burgers in advance and freeze them. One of my favorite tools to help shape, store and freeze these burgers is the Shape+Store Burger Master Press and Freezer Container as shown below.
It instantly shapes and stores a batch of eight burger patties with the lid. Then, when you need them, they effortlessly pop out of the non-stick tray -- even when frozen! You can also use this tray for soups, chili, spaghetti, meat sauces or any soft foods that you want to portion out. You can find it in My Favorite Things Shop.
You can use a skillet on the stove or bake these burgers on a cookie sheet in your oven. We couldn't let the beautiful summer go by without savouring the last little bit of beautiful weather, so we took ours outside to grill on the bbq.
Here's the recipe for you to enjoy:
- 1-1⁄2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 1⁄4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated apple
- 1⁄4 cup celery ribs finely diced
- 2 tbs parsley chopped
- Coconut Cream Sauce
- 1 14-oz can of coconut cream
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1⁄2 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground sage or fresh chopped sage leaves
Make it Like So
- In a large bowl, mix the first 7 ingredients (ground turkey through parsley).
- Form ground turkey into 4 to 6 round patties or flatten and spread the ground turkey in your Shape + Store Burger Master.
- Heat grill to medium heat and place turkey burgers on the grill. Best to cook slower on medium heat (not high) as they will burn and remain raw inside.
- Cook for 5 minutes on each side, until meat is no longer pink in the centre.
- In a medium bowl, mix the next five ingredients for the coconut cream sauce and season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Layer a lettuce leaf, turkey burger, a spoonful of coconut cream sauce and a lettuce leaf for each serving. You can also top with crunchy apples.